Recent Posts

Breaking News

Cops in alleged shootout with soldiers in Sulu ordered disarmed, restricted

By Aaron Recuenco

All the policemen involved in the death of four soldiers, including two middle-ranking officers, in an alleged shootout in Sulu were ordered to be disarmed and be restricted to quarters as the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) prepares to start its investigation.

(NCMF / MANILA BULLETIN)

(NCMF / MANILA BULLETIN)

Brig. Gen. Bernard Banac, spokesman of the Philippine National Police (PNP), said the order to restrict the operatives of the Jolo Municipal Police Station is part of the immediate administrative action that the national police leadership has initiated amid the controversy surrounding the death of the four Army troopers.

It was not immediately clear how many Jolo policemen were involved in the incident.

“The PNP leadership extends its deepest condolences to the family and colleagues of two Philippine Army officers and two enlisted men who died in the unfortunate incident of a misencounter with PNP personnel in Jolo, Sulu,” Banac said.

The local police, in a report submitted to Camp Crame in Quezon City, had earlier stated that they just defended themselves as the four soldiers tried to fire at them during a car chase in Jolo on Monday afternoon.

The local police ordered the four men on board a Sports Utility Vehicle to proceed to the police station although they identified themselves as members of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP).

The police report stated that as they arrived at the police station, the vehicle sped off which triggered a car chase and eventually a shootout.

Military commanders in Western Mindanao were reportedly furious upon learning of the incident and demanded an impartial investigation, saying they also received reports contradicting the statement of the local police.

The military commanders confirmed that the slain four men were soldiers who were on an official mission.

“The PNP and AFP officials in Sulu have agreed that the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) Regional Office in Zamboanga City will conduct and lead the investigation to ensure impartiality and to eliminate any suspicion of undue influence,” said Banac.

Banac said the Regional Director of the Police Regional Office-Bangsamoro Administrative Region, Brig. Gen. Manuel Abu, has been instructed to extend full administrative and operational support to the NBI.

Read more: Sulu cops kill 4 military officers on a mission to locate ASG suicide bombers


Source: Manila Bulletin (https://news.mb.com.ph/2020/06/30/cops-in-alleged-shootout-with-soldiers-in-sulu-ordered-disarmed-restricted/)

No comments